Are you looking to connect your PS4 Controller or DualShock 4 controller with your computer? Well, then you came to the right place. In today’s guide, I will tell you some best ways to use the DualShock 4 controller on your computer to play console games with ease. There are many articles available on the internet regarding this topic but they don’t provide complete information.
In our article, you will learn all the possible ways which you can use, so if one method is not working then you should go with another. Even though all the methods are working perfectly fine I have tried myself and after reviewing them I choose these methods which you will learn today. Before we proceed first let’s talk about why anyone should use a PS4 Controller on Computer? What are the benefits? Read this below headline to know about this.
Why Use PS4 Controller on Windows
If you have first played games on Console like PS4 or Xbox then I am damn sure you love its controller. It is because you can easily use them and control your character as compared to Mouse and Keyboard combination. Because when a console games move from Play Station to the computer they feel problem to operate mouse and keyboard.
But fortunately, there are some tools available on the internet which help you to resolve this issue. These tools can be used to connect a DualShock 4 controller by using Wire or through BlueTooth connection. Even though Steam has also announced the compatibility of DualShock 4 with the computer.
How To Connect PS4 Controller To PC
So basically there are two phases of this topic, in the first phase, we will learn the method to connect PS4 Controller with Steam only. This Steam method will not work on other games so if you want to use outside Steam then move to phase 2. Ok. let’s check out the first method of our guide:
Connect PS4 Controller – Steam Method
Here are some steps which you need to follow to connect this PlayStation 4 controller with Steam.
- DualShock 4 Controller
- Micro USB charging cable (like what it comes with)
- The new version of Steam
Note: Do not connect your controller yet, we have to first set up a few things before connecting.
1. Open Steam on your computer and then sign in with your email and password.
2. Now check if you have the latest version of not so click on Steam from the above menu and then click on Check for Steam Client Updates. By default Steam always check and update it automatically but it is also necessary to check whether it is updated or not.
3. So, after this click on that Rectangle Box which appears next to your user name to enter the Full-Screen Mode.
4. Now click on the Settings button located above (make sure you are in Big Screen Mode otherwise you cannot see it).
5. From the controllers, subsection clicks on the Controller Settings.
6. Now you see the list of Controllers there so just tick the PlayStation Configuration Support. Otherwise, if you have an Xbox controller then tick Xbox Configuration Support. Even though if you have a Universal controller then tick Generic Gamepad Configuration Support.
7. That’s it now connect your PS4 Controller by using the USB Data cable and then you will listen to “Bloop” voice. When you hear that voice it means that the controller is connected successfully with your computer. Now enjoy playing your favourite game by using the DualShock 4 controller.
Note: If you want to use wirelessly then you can simply open Bluetooth in your computer and then press share and PS button on your controller at the same time. Now search for the controller there and connect it (you may be asked for the paired key so enter 0000).
Customize Controller In Steam
If you are willing to change some setting in your controllers then you can also do this by following these simple steps.
- After connecting the controller don’t click Steam Settings, now click on the newly connected controller.
- When you click that Controller you will notice a Preference Settings button on the right-side.
- Just click on that button and start customizing your controller.
You can customize these following things:
- Change the name of your controller
- Turn the Rumble on or Off
- Adjust the colour of your controller light
- Change sensitivity
Connect PS4 Controller Without Steam
This is another method which you can follow to use PlayStation 4 Controller on your computer but without having Steam. By using this method you can use the controller anywhere you want and there are many other benefits of it so let’s move to the guide.
Here is the list of things which you will need:
- DualShock 4 Controller
- Micro USB Cable (for wired method)
- Bluetooth Dongle (if you want to use wirelessly)
- DS4Windows application
1. First of all download the DS4Windows by following this link: DS4Windows Download Free for Windows 
2. Now extract the zip file by using any extractor tool like PeaZip, 7Zip or WinRar. You will see a new folder there so simply open it and right-click on DS4Windows.exe and click on Run as Administrator.
3. It will then open a dialogue box where you will be asked to choose whether you want to save as a Program Folder or as AppData. You should choose AppData because it will remain permanent and your settings will be saved as well.
4. Now you will again see two more options there which are “Step 1: Install the DS4 Driver” and another “Step 2: If on Windows 7 or below, Install 360 Driver”. At this time click on the second step if you are using Windows 7 or older otherwise click on Step 1.
5. Here you will see another dialogue box asking confirmation to install a driver or not so click on Yes Install. The drivers will be installed in some time then simply click on the Finish button.
Now connect your controller with the computer by using Micros USB cable and see if it is working or not. Otherwise, you will need to close this program and close it from the system tray as well. Also, restart your computer and then try to plug in your PS4 Controller and that’s it. The controller will start working perfectly fine and now play your games with your favourite controller.
Connect DS4Windows Using Bluetooth
If you don’t like Micro USB and wanted to play using wirelessly? Then here are the steps which you should follow to use it:
- From the system, tray right-clicks on Bluetooth and then click on Add a Bluetooth device. If you’re using Windows 10, you’re going to have to click Add Bluetooth or any other device and then Bluetooth to find discoverable devices like your PS4 controller.
- Note: If you cannot see the Bluetooth icon there then you should open Start Menu and then click on the Settings button. From here go to Devices then enable Bluetooth.
- Use your Bluetooth dongle to connect your DualShock4 controller and make your PS4 controller discoverable. To do this, click Share and PlayStation icon for 3 seconds or until a double blinking pattern are reflected in the light bar at the top of the screen.
- Click on the wireless devices and then you will see your Controller is discovered there so just tap on it to connect. Also, you may be asked to enter paired key so enter 0000.
That’s it now you can enjoy playing your game wirelessly as well. Make sure to keep an eye on your battery percentage to avoid ruining your game.
As Microsoft enabled a feature of Xbox 360 in Windows most people are moved from console to a PC gaming. Playing game with a PS4 controller adds more fun to any ordinary games. The controls are quite simple than controlling with Mouse and keyboard. That’s why I shared these two working methods to connect PS4 Controller with your Windows computer.
If you just like my work don’t forget to share with your friends or family members so they can get benefit from it. Also, bookmark my website so you can get new ways to connect DualShock 4 with computer or Mac. If you just skipped the installation process of DS4Windows then go above and check again. Because it is the only best tool which works perfectly fine even you are using with wired or wirelessly.